I’m Coco, the lady in charge, a mouthy Southerner rocking curly hair and low blood pressure.
I’m a storyteller—because life may be as serious as a country song, but I think it’s important to make light of what we can. So that’s what you’ll get a lot of around here. Maybe my stories have a deeper meaning. Maybe not.
And I sometimes go off on a chase after something I know of as common sense but to others it may appear I have a streak of the crazytown in me. You decide. This is often the stuff that makes me knit my brow.
I also write poetry. And I got a degree in architecture back when pencils were a thing and thought I’d be an artist, but now the alphabet is my medium. Go figure.
Coco Q is my stage and occasional pen name. I also show up in a few places as Citizen Coco (@CitizenCoco).
The name “Shiny Butter” comes from one time when I was at a party and a friend had on this delicious, liquidy, silky golden shirt that I said looked like shiny butter.
I liked the sound of that so much I started a blog.
So shinybutter.com was born and wandered the blogosphere for several years in a fun and wacky, slightly aimless but enjoyable way.
Then one day not too long ago my blog got hacked and it was terrible and now there are all these great posts sitting in some sort of internet halfway house waiting to be de-hacked so they can come back home. At first I was lost and deflated staring at my empty blog, but then I put on my optimistic thinking cap and decided to just make a fresh start.
The Shiny Butter Blog is where I get to share what matters to me and what I just like the sound of, so here’s some of what to expect around here:
- Strongly worded opinions on the general state of things. Like this post.
- Handy guides to help you navigate complicated subjects. Like this one.
- Ridiculousness that’s fun, fantastic, or funny—I think ridiculousness is important, so here you go.
- Sometimes I just need to talk, and I’m glad you’re here to listen and hang out. Here‘s an example of that.
- Beucoups of peace-loving, tree-hugging, freak flag-flying, and back-talk. Here‘s some of that.
- Irreverence and system-bucking. Like this.
- Straight-up Southern common sense and expressions sprinkled hither and yon.
- Run-on sentences.
- Cursing, even though I can assure you I was raised to know better and have the pearls to prove it.
So you’re in the right place if you want to sit back and laugh with me as I ramble on about my version of what’s funny, if you tend to lean left but aren’t so sure about liberals anymore and think the Democratic party has lost its ever-living mind, if you aren’t thrown off by another Southerner busting up the stereotypes, or if you aren’t the judge-y type.
You’re not in the right place if you don’t like run-on sentences. Or cursing. Or a little bit of wanderlust.
Also, if you think Miracle Whip is a suitable substitute for mayonnaise, tread lightly around here.
So listen, grab your iced tea, spiked or not, I don’t care, and sit a spell. We’ve got some catching up to do.
Love you, mean it, MWAH,
P.S. Duke’s is the superior mayonnaise, in case you didn’t already know that.
P.P.S. My given name is Suzanna. I was named after my great-grandmother. Do not call me Suzanne.