I’m Coco, the lady in charge, a mouthy, tender-hearted Southerner rocking curly hair and low blood pressure.
I’m a storyteller—because life may be as serious as a country song, but I think it’s important to make light of what we can. What’s the point of it all if life is nothing but scowling, hand-wringing, and looking over your nose at people.
Three little tidbits:
- I got a degree in architecture back when pencils were a thing and thought I’d be an artist, but now the alphabet is my medium. Go figure.
- In addition to this blog, I write poetry and some fiction—I have a website for all that in the works.
- Coco Q is an occasional pen name and my stage name (I emcee/MC now and then). I show up in a few places as Citizen Coco (@CitizenCoco).
Here’s some of what to expect around here:
- Strongly worded opinions on the general state of things. Like this post.
- Handy guides to help you navigate complicated subjects. Like this one.
- Ridiculousness—I think ridiculousness is important, so here you go.
- Sometimes I just need to talk, and I’m glad you’re here to listen. Here‘s an example of that.
- Beucoups of peace-loving, tree-hugging, freak flag-flying, and back-talk. Here‘s some of that.
- Irreverence and system-bucking. Like this.
- Straight-up Southern common sense and expressions sprinkled hither and yon.
- Run-on sentences.
- Made-up words.
- Cursing (even though I can assure you I was raised to know better and have the pearls to prove it).
You’re in the right place:
- If you’re okay with a not-necessarily-predictable point of view on all manner of things.
- If you tend to lean left but aren’t so sure about liberals anymore and think the Democratic party has lost its ever-living mind.
- If you don’t want to talk about politics all the time.
- If you think goofing off is important.
- If you aren’t thrown off by a Southerner busting up the stereotypes.
- If you’re okay with a touch of snark.
- If you’re the live-and-let-live type.
You may not be in the right place:
- If you’re opposed to run-on sentences.
- Or made-up words. Or cursing.
- If you’re a pessimist.
- If you’re the judge-y type.
- If you don’t like butter.
- If you think Miracle Whip is a suitable substitute for mayonnaise. And by mayonnaise, I mean Duke’s.
So listen, grab your iced tea, spiked or not, I don’t care, and sit a spell. We’ve got some catching up to do.
Love you, mean it, glad you’re here, MWAH~
P.S. Duke’s is the superior mayonnaise, in case you didn’t already know that.
P.P.S. My given name is Suzanna. I was named after my great-grandmother. Do not call me Suzanne.